General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming for complete newbs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-04 11:07 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: swimming for complete newbs
Well as sad as it is for me to say that I'm having to admit in front of gawd and everyone that I'm a complete newb (which is latin for 'I suck') at swimming. I am *hoping* to complete an olympic distance at the end of the summer - and I've always known that the swim would be my biggest challenge, but that has only come into full light today when I began my swim training (for the first time in my life). I'm not complete demoralized - as this is the 3rd of my "first time in my life" events when it comes to triathlons - but this one has me worried (and exhausted).

But first let me give you my background. My wife is in her 3rd season of tri's - and she does GREAT! She was a collegiate swimmer, and has learned to be a good runner and biker as well. After her first season I committed to her to compete in a *micro* sprint the next year (2006) - which I loved. In anticipation of that event I began running (for the first time in my life) and increased my biking (I already mountain biked a fair amount), but I waited to begin swim training until the day of the event [feel free to throw rocks and garbage at will]. But I finished and really enjoyed the experience - just enough to get hooked. To raise the stakes my wife found a really cheap, but awesome tri bike (Cervello) for me over the winter, so now I *have* to take it seriously

Well, I've been keeping a reasonable offseason workout regimen that I've been proud of, and bought the book "total immersion" to learn efficient swimming technique. And today I actually mustered the courage to show myself at a public pool to try out what I'd learned. And that is what brings us here today - I sucked - even more than I suck at most things! And to say that is wasn't pretty does a major disservice to ugly things. It honestly felt like I was a pig on roller skates (but possibly a bit less coordinated). I had *brief* moments of improvement followed by a plethora of gawky awkward flail-like movements that made me wonder what the heck I've signed up for.

I'm pretty committed to continuing, but please someone tell me if this gets better in a mortal's lifetime. I didn't grow up swimming (beyond dunking my brother and jumping off big rocks), so I completly lack the swimming gene. When (or if) can I expect to see and feel some improvement?

Completely humbled,
Terry

2007-02-04 11:22 PM
in reply to: #679158

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: swimming for complete newbs
Why not have your wife show you the proper form?  Make her be your coach!    Once you know what the right form looks/feels like, you just need to crank out the laps.   It took me 6 months of swimming to reach a mile swim non-stop.  The first day I could barely swim across the pool! 
2007-02-04 11:40 PM
in reply to: #679173

Elite
Laurium, MI

the drills take a while to burn in.  Don't get discouraged so soon.  Depending on how often you swim, it will take several weeks to feel comfortable doing the drills.  It took me about 2 months before side kicks became second nature.

I'd just remember these things:

1. the more often you swim, the faster you learn.  swimming 500 meters every day is better then 2000 meters 3 days a week

2. You never outgrow drills.  If you think you have mastered a drill, it means you can now do that drill more without getting tired, not that you don't need to do it any more.

3.  Fitness and form go together.  You can't have good form without good fitness and vice versa.  The stronger you get, the longer you can hold your form.  The longer you can hold form, the better feel you get for it (and the better your form gets).  You can't obsess over form forever.  Sometimes you just have to start swimming.

2007-02-05 6:36 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Hi Terry!

First of all, breathe! You're not the first, nor will ye be the last!

Secondly, you've got to be more specific brother. What exactly is your problem? Legs sink like lead? Can't make your arms cooperate? Breathing problems? More specific you can give me, the more I can help you.

Vortmax was spot on when he said that the more swimming you do, the better. Swimming is unlike biking and running in terms of muscles used. Those use much larger muscle memory .Swimming is almost entirely small muscle memory. The tiny muscles and stabilizers that need to be toned while swimming can only be toned..while..um...swimming. Many people neglect the role of things like your core while swimming.

I disagree w/ getting your wife to teach you. I'm a swim instructor, and even then, I don't like to teach my boyfriend (who was also a swim hater up until this summer). Outside opinions come without the risk of sleeping on the couch. Invest in a good swim coach!!
2007-02-05 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Good news: there is hope, things will get better. Bad news: it takes a long time. Follow the advice: get coaching, get the DVDs, become a student of the sport, get in teh water 3 times a week.....you can learn by watching others that swim well...so your wife should be able to help at least some if she's good...
2007-02-05 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
You sound just like me! My wife was a collegiate swimmer turned triathlete and I watched her race for 5 years before I bit the bullet. I had her train me in the pool and teach me as much as she could. After that, it is all up to you just spending time in the water and working on everything that you know to be correct. Every so often, have her take a look and make sure your form is still OK and make any more adjustments that need to be made. I am still struggling with swimming but the biggest thing is really just that you need to spend a lot of time in the water. Good luck!

2007-02-05 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Terry, you can do it, it just takes time.

In my pre-triathlon life swimming usually included a flotation device of some sort and an adult beverage.  When I decided to give this triathlon thing a try I took a lesson.  I sucked.  I sucked so much I was too embarrassed to take another lesson, so I just swam as much as I could on my own.  I did two sprints last year and managed to retain some dignity during the swim.  A couple of months ago I got Total Immersion and after reading it, some parts 2-3 times, I went to the pool and worked on "pressing my buoy".  What a difference.  What's my point?  Stick with it and put in the time (advice I should take as well).

Good Luck and Have Fun!

2007-02-05 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
I started by getting in the pool in November '05. I struggled to do 25 yards without stopping. I did 6 of those on the first day and thought that this thing would be impossible. I've been swimming 2-3x a week since then and now I'm looking at swimming being a strength in triathlons. Your wife can probably attest that triathlon is not a swimmer's sport, so as long as you get out of the water alive, you can do ok at this sport.

Going from where you are now to a 1500m competitive swim later in the summer won't be easy, you won't get out of the water feeling great, but it's doable. Just keep working at it, keep working on getting more efficient and the distance will come.
2007-02-05 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'll second Tracey's advice to hire a swim coach (or sign up for some lessons).  First, it'll force you to go to the pool regularly (like, at least once a week for the lesson).  Second, someone who is a good swimmer isn't necessarily a good swim instructor.  The swimmer GF probably doesn't know what it's like to swim with legs sinking and/or the "runner's kick" that frustrate lots of new swimmers. 

The good news is you've got plenty of time to be proficient enough for an OLY swim!

2007-02-05 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Terry, I honestly think I know EXACTLY how you feel.

I signed up for my first tri for March this year. Started swimming at the Y late December '06 and lessons 2 wks later. Had never done any lap swimming before now....not in my entire 43 years.

My first lesson I was very embarassed, humiliated, blah, blah, blah.........so after trying to learn how to swim the first couple of times I was extremely humbled. But I stuck with it and actually did 2 500 yd. continuous swims last week. Most of the swim was breastroke, but I'm doing a higher percentage of freestyle each time as I work on breathing and technique.

Point is, hold your course, accept that you're going to be uncomfortable for the next 2-3 weeks. and work on relaxing in the water, relaxed breathing, and form. People were telling me the same and I said I can't relax when I can't breathe.....but I pushed thru it. You'll do it too. Just learn the correct technique and swim, swim, swim. My family Y membership is $ 44/mth and I've just about gotten my money's worth just from my swimming alone.

Let us know how you're progressing.

Craig

2007-02-05 11:54 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement - they really help! It is indeed nice to hear that if I continue to work hard at it I can get there from here. I think that I will take some of everyone's advice, and firstly drag myself into the pool at least 3 times this week and hopefully extend those moments of coordination into slightly longer moments of coordination. And then next week I'll likely look for an instructor to help me out. So it sounds like focused application of a lot of mileage is the best thing for me right now.

Although my wife is an awesome swimmer - and I'm told a great coach too (from other newbs that she has helped) it just isn't likely to work for us. Although she may be 100% right in what she says I would have a harder time hearing 'I suck' from her than a stranger that I pay. Similarly, when we started dating I tried to teach her skiing (I was an instructor at the time) and it very nearly ended our relationship!

This swimming thing is just odd from my perspective. I've been a beginner in many sports that I've learned as an adult, but rarely have I been so completely humbled by any of them.

Thanks again for all of your words of wisdom! They are appreciated!

Terry

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming for complete newbs Rss Feed